Seasons in Alaska, blog #9 1 comment

This week’s blog has me once again at a disadvantage as I am trapped in Ohio and only a scholar in everything Alaska. I will do my best and hopefully give the readers a good blog to read and discuss.

Alaska is blessed and cursed with some interesting weather and the accompanying seasons. Some love the winter, with its clean, frozen mud less landscape to enjoy many winter sports and not be annoyed by millions of biting insects. Some may really despise the harsh cold of winter, and want to enjoy warm, sunlit days. It is all an individual thing. I have never experienced Alaskan seasons and the weather that goes along with them. I have in Ohio experienced 100+ degree Fahrenheit to single digit degree Fahrenheit  temperatures. We have Lake Erie to keep the area moist all year, that makes the moist winter temperatures with wind driven across the lake straight from Canada with no stops quite a chore to endure. The summers are jungle like with humidity to the extreme. I read many places in Alaska have reached to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, while winter in some locations may reach -60 Fahrenheit. I am told in the interior areas, the weather is dryer than Ohio, and the cold is less felt. This was from friends who visited in the winter. I will have to make that judgment myself soon.

Everything I know is from a scholarly standpoint. The fall season is quite short and there is a mad rush to prepare for winter. The winter can be brutal, and the summers quite blazing hot. Here in Ohio, the fall season last for a couple months and is quite long in comparison to Alaska. Springs are short in Alaska too, while Ohio has a couple months to get to summer.

In all, Alaska is a land of extremes and so is its seasons.