Blog #6 My Wilderness

The stories from the readings this week were intense.   They spoke to one of the realities of the Alaskan Wilderness; it can kill you.   I spend time in the wilderness engaging in recreation and subsistence activities.   To me, the wilderness is a place of excitement, mystery, and beauty.   I have been in the backcountry snowboarding; sliding down pristine sparkling hills of glittering snow in the sunshine. I have pulled huge salmon from clear running rivers as well as rivers clouded with silt.  I have climbed through the hills smelling the scent of fall in the mountains and hunting for caribou.

Snowboarding off of a cornice near Fielding Lake south of Fairbanks.

But, my engagement with the wilderness does not go to the extremes as described in the stories; landing an airplane on a raging river, clutching for dear life with one hand on the side of a mountain as 100 mph winds try to blow me away, or chasing after wildlife hoping to become one of them.   I do not want to become one with nature in those extreme ways, ways that could easily result in me losing my life!   To me, the Alaskan wilderness is a place where my senses are invigorated and my spirit is heightened.

My first caribou kill in the mountains surrounding Fielding Lake.