Week 7 ‘resources’

As I read through this week’s stories I thought about people as a resource for this state, as well as the natural resources this land provides. The knowledge and wisdom the elders pass on from one generation to the next, the fishing and hunting guides that allow others to see and experience Alaska and it’s way of life, the food that is provided by the fish and animals of this land, the berries and other plants.
As I read ‘Moose: Season of the Painted Leaves’ I thought of a hunting guide I know through church. I wondered if some of the feelings expressed in here is what my friend Tom experiences. I know he has a respect for the animals he hunts because of things he has shared.
I enjoyed The Battle of the Giants since it was about the area I live in. I marvel at what people did and how they did it Even thinking of staying in a teepee in the dead of winter gives me the shivers thinking about it. Yet it reminded me of Native Americans doing it. I know this is a literature class and not a history class but I think we can learn about a way of life this way that most of us will never experience.
Moose and bears are definitely mentioned throughout these stories and it’s hard not to think of them as part of the resources of the land. Also just the mountains, rivers, lakes, trees and the areas of ice- our coastal areas- Alaska has them all.
A few of the stories I wasn’t sure what to think, like ‘ The Ten-Footed Polar Bear’,-“a creature rarely seen by Eskimos”. I always wonder how tales like this get started and what is the real story.
Moon of the Rising Sun and the clothing Sakiak mentions wearing reminded me of the articles of clothing I saw at the UAF University Museum in Fairbanks. I had read Shadow of the Hunter by Richard K. Nelson when I took Alaskan Anthropology a few years ago. I visited the museum as I was doing that course so it really helped me understand more what life was like and still is like in parts of Alaska and a way of life I have no experience with. It is a very hard life compared to what most of us will ever experience. I don’t know if life is any different now compared to what it was because the people there still go by a lot of the old ways. They live a subsistence life and endure hardships that most of us wouldn’t survive. Sakiak commented it was a good day to hunt at -40 degrees! He knew times were changing, but the old ways still were best for some things. The skills he had were pretty amazing and the practices would put most naturalists to shame. Sakiak was willing to make changes in his life but didn’t forget the old ways or those that taught him.
I could relate more to Pam Houston’s ‘Dall’ even though I’ve never been on a hunting trip in my life.I would have rooted for the the sheep too. I think seeing someone through the eyes of her experiences would have changed many of us. I know it would have me.
I think there is something that stirs within a person when one reads about the adventures like these. I also thought about the interview and how people can be so different. Some are so grounded and firm in their beliefs. Others are just out for themselves, without regard to anyone else. Human nature and how experiences shape people.

About pmullin1

Hi. I am Patty. My husband, Glenn, and I have 3 adult children, 7 grandchildren and 1 great grandson. We have lived in Alaska for 24 years now. We live in Sterling now, but have lived in Southeast, Seward, and the valley. We're originally from Indiana. I am a senior. I'll graduate with a B.A. in Early Childhood Education. I have an A.A.S. in Early Childhood and in Disabilities. I am a teacher at Sterling Head Start. I look forward to being able to travel more in the near future as my husband is retiring soon.