Blog #3 by Eric Nestor 2 comments

Bryr Ludington wrote “Pioneer of the Alaska Highway”. In her writing, she uses a very descriptive writing style to let us in our minds see what Ed Border saw in his epic exploration of the future route of the Alaska Highway in the dead of winter in 1941. Her writing described the people he met along the way in great detail, and in less detail perhaps that of the country in which he passed. His daily routines, especially when he was lost early on in his expedition, was least noted. Characters like Old Sam, were detailed characters that put the details on the humanity side of the story, and not as much on the natural side.

John Haines was the opposite in his writings. He detailed the natural environment and how the character feels when out in the natural world. He feels in his writings that the reader may want to be one with nature and seek the deepest, most remote areas and some how, taints the wild areas with their human presence no matter how they might try to protect it. They may love the area they are in but even boot prints may rob the remoteness from the area. We bring our drama with us into the wilderness, along with exploitation sadly.

The above writers both write in their own ways, but leave us with a great detailed look in our minds. In what ways we see the picture, can be greatly different between authors. I myself like both styles, from the historical stand point of a great Alaskan who eighty years ago had an expedition of a lifetime that set up the start of the Alaska Highway by his map making ground work, to the modern day outdoorsman looking for deeper solitude in the great outdoors. Both styles offer the reader a great story that impacts the very soul by use of details and skillful writing.