Blog #3 by Eric Nestor 2 comments

Bryr Ludington wrote “Pioneer of the Alaska Highway”. In her writing, she uses a very descriptive writing style to let us in our minds see what Ed Border saw in his epic exploration of the future route of the Alaska Highway in the dead of winter in 1941. Her writing described the people he met along the way in great detail, and in less detail perhaps that of the country in which he passed. His daily routines, especially when he was lost early on in his expedition, was least noted. Characters like Old Sam, were detailed characters that put the details on the humanity side of the story, and not as much on the natural side.

John Haines was the opposite in his writings. He detailed the natural environment and how the character feels when out in the natural world. He feels in his writings that the reader may want to be one with nature and seek the deepest, most remote areas and some how, taints the wild areas with their human presence no matter how they might try to protect it. They may love the area they are in but even boot prints may rob the remoteness from the area. We bring our drama with us into the wilderness, along with exploitation sadly.

The above writers both write in their own ways, but leave us with a great detailed look in our minds. In what ways we see the picture, can be greatly different between authors. I myself like both styles, from the historical stand point of a great Alaskan who eighty years ago had an expedition of a lifetime that set up the start of the Alaska Highway by his map making ground work, to the modern day outdoorsman looking for deeper solitude in the great outdoors. Both styles offer the reader a great story that impacts the very soul by use of details and skillful writing.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 thoughts on “Blog #3 by Eric Nestor

• cleaning

First off I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question which I’d like
    to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your
    thoughts before writing. I have had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost
    simply just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any recommendations or tips? Many thanks!

Here is my site :: cleaning

• ejnestor Post author

I just sit down, take a deep breath and dive into the topic. I sometimes have my wife telling me how her day went at work or other distractions, but I keep my mind on what I want to say. I have always loved everything Alaska and the great outdoors so writing on the subject has not been problematic for me. Just find your happy place away from as many distractions as you can, and write your thoughts. It will get easier. Trust me. Hope this helps you out!