Blog #1 by Eric Nestor 3 comments

Do you think identifying nature as a resource separates us from it? Is there another way to frame our role in nature that might be possible?

This is a subject that is near and dear to me is similar to that which has happened in Ohio sadly years ago. Beautiful coastlines of Lake Erie, were just seen as a great catalyst for the industrial revolution. The pollution destroyed the land and now it is a barren waste land. It is known as the Diamond Alkali/Shamrock site. This could mimic the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge if drilling is allowed on the area.

In are reading, our character Uncle Charley thinks of the land in a money sense, what can the environment give to himself in gold pay offs. His thoughts are clouded of the thoughts of vast riches and this is what we must guard against in our lives, greed over the overall picture in life, the beauty around us. This is especially true of the environment, as nature is fragile and susceptible to the abuses that mankind can inflict upon  the lands  with mechanized tools of destruction and poison agents of pollution.

The narrator at least writes of the beauty and value of the land, which is in contrast of Uncle Charley’s vision of worth. Beauty is far more that the worth of the land in a monetary fashion. Though, wise use of the land may in many ways can be self sustaining such as correct forestry practices. Sadly, oil and gas exploration are considered non-renewable resources and them thusly will run out, and that is it. The damage on the land is all that remains, a long lasting scar on the face of the planet to mark human greed in excess.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

3 thoughts on “Blog #1 by Eric Nestor

• pmullin1

It is always sad when an area is destroyed in the name of progress. There has to be people who will speak up and advocate, but generally it comes down the bottom dollar. Forests have been wiped out in Ketchikan for logging. But when logging stopped, so many people left it was hard for those that remained to survive. It went from bustling and booming to now mainly a tourist area.

• Madara

Interesting that this is a problem even in a place like Ohio. Honestly, I often think of the Lower 48 as a place with so few remaining natural resources that it must not be a concern for them… That’s obviously not true, but that was my knee-jerk reaction. I think it comes from moving to Alaska after having grown up in the rural South. Alaska still seems so rich in natural resources that it’s easy to adopt the attitude of “well, we have enough to waste” which again, isn’t true but it’s a knee jerk reaction.